Av. Rio Branco 219
Rio de Janeiro
Corinthian columns adorn the neoclassical National Library (built between 1905 and 1908), the first such establishment in Latin America. Its original archives were brought to Brazil by King Joao VI in 1808. Today it contains roughly 13 million books, including two 15th-century printed Bibles, and manuscript New Testaments from the 11th and 12th centuries; first-edition Mozart scores as well as scores by Carlos Gomes; books that belonged to Empress Teresa Christina; and many other manuscripts, prints, and drawings.
No reviews found. Be the first to review this place.