Largo da Penha, 19 - Penha Circular
Rio de Janeiro
This church is well known for its multitudes of worshipers from virtually all over Brazil and its prime vantage point on a high rocky bluff, making it visible from miles around. Built in 1635 as a tiny, rustic church by Portuguese sea captain Baltazar de Abreu Cardoso on land of his own. In 1728 the original fraternity became the Veneravel Irmandade de N.S da Penha de Franaca (Venerable Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Bluff of France).
No reviews found. Be the first to review this place.